Rocca di Castagnoli is an ancient medieval fortress which was the origin of the Castagnoli hamlet. Throughout its history, this place was owned by numerous noble families, including the Ricasoli. The winery, which already existed in the 18th century, has always been the economic center of the village and has always been distinguished by its excellent production quality, as evidenced in 1773 by a visit from Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo, who praised its excellent land management, maintenance and innovation. In 1924, Rocca di Castagnoli became part of the farms that form the Chianti Classico Wine Consortium. Since 1981, there has been important vineyard replanting and building restructuring work, including renovation of the wine cellar and medieval fortress, following on from the property’s historical precedents by maintaining the production quality achieved in previous centuries.